Friday, March 31, 2006

Bandwidth Speed Test Pages: Are they reliable?

There are a lot of bandwidth speed test pages on the web. Most of them are supported by internet providers and computer companies. But how do they work? Are the speed results reliable?

I think each one of them has its own method to accomplish the test. That can explain the differences among results. The server where each test page is hosted may influence it too. The differences among the results should be small, but it is not true.

Today I load two of these pages: Intel bandwidth test (www.intel.com/.../broadband/speedtest.htm) and RJNet speedometer (www.rjnet.com.br/velocimetro/teste100.asp). The results were very different, as shown below:


One hour after, I loaded the same pages again under the same conditions, i.e, no other softwares beyond the browser were opened in my computer. The following result was shown:


In both cases, the connection speed detected by RJNet test was more than 3 times higher than the speed detected by Intel page.
So, I decided to try a third page. This time, I loaded an international test at http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/. The result is shown below:


This result increased my doubts. On which test can we rely?

1 comment:

Frank Tinsley said...

I had a feeling those were useless. Thanks for trying more than one and showing that they are indeed bunk.