Thursday, April 27, 2006

Bad designs: part V

The picture on the right shows a set of three displays in a gas pump. The top one shows the total cost of fuel, the middle display shows how many liters of fuel are pumped into one’s car, and the bottom one shows the price per liter of fuel.
Every time I fuel my car, I take a look at the central display and I think that the words “Total a Pagar” refer to the middle display. It takes a couple seconds until my brain understands the right boundaries of the information. Look at the picture. Does that happen to you too?

According to the principles of Gestalt psychology - a German theory that believes that we build into our minds a natural way of perceiving forms and patters, adding a kind of order unconsciously - we perceive the whole first, or the big picture, and then fit the parts into it.
I think it would be better if the words that describe each display were placed above them instead of below.
An alternative would be to keep more distance between the displays.

No comments: